Monday, May 02, 2011

The End Of A Terrorist

This is the day many people in the world have been waiting for, certainly in the US and UK; The death of Osama Bin Laden, Al Qaida's mastermind. Apparently gone down fighting, he died in the way he's chosen for himself, and I'm not shedding any tears over him. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say. In my humble opinion, he has not served anyone in his 'Jihad', contrary to some opinions. In fact, if at all, he's turned the entire world against Muslims everywhere. What was once a misunderstood religion is now one whose benevolent principles are spontaneously regarded as suspiciously terrorist-related. 
I'll admit that he was among the very few who had the guts to stand up against what he interpreted as Imperialist oppression (backed with his millions and millions, of course!), but I said it before, and I'll say it again; He is NOT the mastermind of Al Qaida. The true mastermind is Aywan Al Zawahiri, the Egyptian Cleric who approached Bin Laden when the Soviets retreated from Afghanistan and asked him to establish "Al Qaida", using his fighters and Bin Laden's money. So in this perspective, I'm apprehensively relieved that Bin Laden's dead, but I'll save the confetti for when we hear the news that Al Zawahiri's dead as well.

Something I find suspicious that's only now being touched upon by the news media; He was hiding 'in a heavily-guarded' mansion' just 800 meters from a Pakistani Military Academy, which raises the question that the Pakistani Intelligence Agency, the notorious ISI, knew, or at least, had a hunch, that the world's number 1 most wanted terrorist was living peacefully right in their own backyard. This raises a lot of questions about the Pakistani stance towards Bin Laden and his organization (and his millions!), but I'll leave that for another time.

In the meantime, I'd like to express my relief to the millions who had suffered at the hands of this terrorist. He never represented me nor my religion nor my creed. I would also like to thank everyone and every nation who had participated in tracking down, disassembling and destroying him and his organization, but warn that, while the man is dead, the ideal and image of Bin Laden is still very much alive, and that's the real challenge. You can kill a man, but you can never kill an idea. 

My dream is to see a more peaceful and quiet world,one where terrorists and charlatans don't roam among us and threaten our children with ideas of death and fanaticism and twisted ideology.But that won't happen until Bin Laden's message goes the way of Hitler and other tyrants. I reiterate, Bin Laden may be dead, but his doesn't mean that the war is dead. His legacy still lives on, one can only hope and pray that this legacy is short-lived.. Now all we have to worry about is state-sponsors of terrorism like Iran, Syria and the likes, and from the looks of things I think that's imminent as well.

No comments: