According to the AP-AOL poll:
- Almost three-fourths of adults who do use instant messages still communicate with e-mail more often.
- Almost three-fourths of teens send instant messages more than e-mail.
More than half of the teens who use instant messages send more than 25 a day, and one in five send more than 100.
- Three-fourths of adult users send fewer than 25 instant messages a day.
Teen users (30 percent) are almost twice as likely as adults (17 percent) to say they can't imagine life without instant messaging.
- When keeping up with a friend who is far away, teens are most likely to use instant messaging, while adults turn first to e-mail.
- About a fifth of teen IM users have used IM to ask for or accept a date. Almost that many, 16 percent, have used it to break up with someone.
IM is a great communication tool but it can be misused, just like a screwdriver or wrench! Not highlighting the benefits against the disadvantages is unfair and doesn't promote further technologies..in short...IM rocks!